Monday 29 November 2010

Snow Day

The UK has snow.

I know this isn't something I shouldn't be getting excited over. Snow is a pain in the bottom to drive in. It comes with a side order of ice and frost. It has an annoying way of soaking up the hem of your jeans without you noticing until you sit down (and tuck your leg under your bum).

Did I mention that it's cold.

So there are lots of reasons to hate snow, but I love it (minus the driving in it part). There comes a day when you just need to embrace the small child inside you and go build a snowman.

I kind of see snow like writing. The blank word document/snow covered field waits for me to write/step my mark on it. Anything is possible where the surface is fresh, the idea is forming and the creativity hits. I don't know about you, but I find there is something very satisfying about making the first footprint/word on an untrodden canvas.

So a word document is kind of like being the first to walk in a fresh snowfall. It's satisfying to be the first leave your mark on it. Mistakes can always be erased later by delete or a fresh snow fall.

Until then just enjoy playing in it.

11 comments:

Al said...

Lovely analogy :-)

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss lindsay! wow i like what you said about that fresh snow and doing the first footprint. pretty cool for sure! i didnt ever build a snowman but i put one in one of my stories except he was a sasquatch scary snowman. yikes! ha ha. have fun in the snow!
...hugs from lenny

Kimberly Franklin said...

Snow! That must be fun. I'm not a fan of cold weather, but I love when it snows. Especially at this time of year. It's supposed to be 80 here today. UGH. So much for fall/winter.

Colene Murphy said...

Yeay! Have fun!
I HATE cold weather. I HATE ice and snow IF I have to go anywhere. If I can stay home and play, I'm all for snow. Otherwise, keep it away!

Have a great snowy fun day!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

We have snow here too. Lots and lots and lots of it.

Hilary Wagner said...

We should be getting snow tomorrow! I've sat on a wet jean cuff too! Ha, ha! No fun!

When you don't have to go anywhere and everything is covered in snow, it's truly a great day to hide away and write. :)

xoxo -- Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I love snow! Bring it on. Good excuse not to go anywhere work related.
Oh, and I'm jealous.

Amparo Ortiz said...

Snow? What's that? :D

Since I live on what some people have deemed an island, can't say I relate to the whole snowfall experience. BUT I love your analogy!

May you conquer the snow/blank Word document!!

Renae said...

No snow here yet...but I hear we are in for some next week. Please bring on a snow day!

Talli Roland said...

Ugh, snow. Clearly you haven't been raised in Canada! :) We just got a few flakes in London today and already the chaos has begun.

Snow HUMBUG!

Carol Riggs said...

Nice comparison! Real snow is lovely IF you don't have to drive in it, methinks. And I love playing in snow, real or writerly. :)