Saturday 16 April 2011

N is for Nosey Nosey

 My 2 y/o goddaughter has an obsession with noses. She likes to press my nose and say "Beep beep." She also likes to kiss my nose.

This nose-session got me thinking about our favourite features in writing -- the crutch body parts.
Some use of body parts is good. They help us see the directions and form clear mental images. But there's a fine line between useful and overuse.

Ever had CP feedback saying "There are lots of 'eyes' in this chapter. Can you describe this another way?"

Most of us have crutch words, but what about crutch body parts?

Here are two places I like to go when I feel myself reaching for an 'eyes' or 'hand.'

The Bookshelf Muse

Eleven Senses - Who Knew Workshop

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cool take on N.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

lol, I use hair too much. And eyes, I suppose, but I think most authors do. :D

Stina said...

Mine use to be heart. I probably use eyes a lot too.