Friday 23 April 2010

The Writing Process.

It's Friday.

Finally, that day of the week where we get to relax and enjoy the things we put off over the week. Oh, who am I kidding? It's a weekend of writing and revision and rinse and repeat.

I want the chance to dream. To think back to those days where I was innocent about the realities of the literary world. You know the ones I mean? Where we all imagined it was like this:






When really, some days are like this:





And then there are the days when you just feel like doing this to you MS:






But I still return to feeling like this:





Why? Because, as many of you pointed out on Wednesday, we love it. It is the moment of peace we steal for ourselves in our hectic lives. The characters we create. The different worlds we inhabit which lead us anywhere we desire. It is the power of words and story to make us feel. To connect us to others who may read our work one day.

It also gives me a chance to use a cool quote.

'We don't need lists of rights and wrongs...We need books, time and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but once upon a time lasts forever.'
Phillip Pullman

P.S, No cats were harmed in the making of this post.

11 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Whoa, that kitty gun thing is SCARY. I mean, look at the mouth on that thing!

Great post - writing definitely puts us through the wringer but it's all worth it in the end.

Hope you get out for some sun at some point. It's supposed to be a lovely weekend!

Vicki Rocho said...

What? That first video isn't how it really works?

Bummer. I was totally getting those dance moves down!

Have a great weekend! Take at least a little break for yourself!

JE said...

Okay, I totally wish #1 was true. That would just be awesome. Number two is what I feel like during rewrite, and number three...hmmmm...well, I've only wanted to do that once. Thank goodness I didn't!

Cute post!

~JD

Stina said...

Maybe if I had dance moves like that, I'd have a better chance of being published. *rushes off to sign up for hip hop lessons*

Jaydee Morgan said...

I love that first video! - and how fun it would be if it really worked that way.

It is a lot of hard work but we love it anyway. Who said writers weren't a little crazy.

Wonderland said...

OMG! Got to love that Brit humor. Excellent post. What's even funnier is that my namesake is in video #2 and I so feel like that as I near the completion of my 3rd revision.

Hannah said...

It's all worth it in the end...I hope. ;)

Creepy Query Girl said...

Oooh, good quote. And I wholy agree! Great vids. lol.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!! I LOVE Star Trek and that was too perfect. Fantastic post, Lindsay!! :-)

Enjoy your weekend.

jdsanc said...

I tis so tough isn't it? I really feel like I've been wearing that cape somedays. We really deserve to be after being down in the trenches and slogging like we do. At least we deserve Wonder Woman underpants. At least!!

Lindsay said...

Talli. I know, there is something freaky about that cat. Plus, thanks for the heads up on the weekend weather. I will make sure I get some me time out there:)

MissV. I was digging the dance moves too. Promise I'll take a break :)

Justine. Glad you liked the post. I agree on mumber three, feel it but never do it.lol.

Stina. I'll join you at the dance lessons. Got to do what it takes;)

Jaydee. I agree, we need a bit of crazy. Would be cool if the road to publishing was like number one.
Now all I need is a cat to help me type.

Kirk. Hehee. I dedicate clip two to you.

Palindrome. It will be worth it. Its got to be...I hope.;)

CQG. Glad you liked the vids. :)

Shannon. Have a good weekend too. Plus, STAR TREK works on so many levels doesn't it!

jdcoughlin. I agree, it is tough but ooh, Wonder Woman underpants, nice thought:)