Wednesday 22 December 2010

Christmas Is Like Writing. Writing Is Like Christmas

It's Wednesday. Yay!

There are only three days left until Christmas.

The whole preparation for Christmas is like writing. December arrives. You write down the gifts/food to buy. You plan your time for shopping. At the shops the next few hours are spent battling others for the last 'it' gift of the year. You trudge home with the bags and realise there are more things to get. The shopping battle resumes another day. You rest. Then comes the day when the shopping is done and the wrapping begins...

The day arrives. We celebrate. We eat. We relax. And do it all again next year.

In writing we do the same thing. We write down our idea. If you're a planner, you might spend some time outlining.  You open the word document. You spend hours typing, battling with your characters. You agonise over word choices. You rest. The writing resumes the next day. And the next. The cycle is repeated until the first draft is complete. Then the editing begins...

The day arrives when we're finished. We celebrate. We eat. We relax. And do it all again on the next wip.

Just like Christmas.

I'm also blogging over on Operation Awesome today. Gonzo and Rizzo are heading over there now. Feel free to stop by.

                                                                                            (Image: Fanpop.com)

And a big thank you to everyone who stopped by to comment on the Be Jolly By Jolly blog fest on Monday. I loved seeing all the holiday decorations (and drooling over those yummy recipes). I'll be working my way through the comments later today.

15 comments:

Renae said...

I love how you tie everything into writing! Great post!!!

Unknown said...

You have a gift of tying everything into writing. You give me that new perspective that I don't always get to see and I absolutely adore you for it!!!

I'll stop by Operation Awesome after I get myself a fresh cup of hot cocoa... I do love the holidays!

Matthew MacNish said...

What a good point you have!

Anonymous said...

Perfect post for this time of year. Loved the extended analogy. You were definitely in the zone--the great, organic, original, creative zone--when you conceived of this piece.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Christmas = writing is a genius comparison

Laura S. said...

Festive analogy!!! And I love The Muppet Christmas Carol! It's my favorite Dickens adaptation.

Many blessings to you and your family this Christmas and in the new year!!!

Janet Johnson said...

I love Gonzo. :)

We humans are a bit crazy aren't we? Just doing the same things over and over . . . ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Since I love Christmas, then that's a good thing!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss lindsey (gonzo too)! that a really cool analogy (i learned that word right here on my writer friends blogs)and for sure it just fits how writings like christmas.
...hugs from lenny

RaShelle Workman said...

Hi. Yes, writing is like Christmas. Great parallels! Thanks!! Hope you have a great holiday.

Lola Sharp said...

Way to make a comparison! :)

Merry Holidays!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Perfect! You are so good at connecting LIFE to writing! I'll see you at Operation Awesome! :-)

Emy Shin said...

Love the analogy -- writing is so much like life, a lot of times. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a terrific analogy!

Enjoy a wonderful Christmas!! :)

Traci B said...

Loved this analogy, of Christmas and writing. So true!