Thursday 2 December 2010

Giving Back: Anonymous Critique

A few weeks ago, Shannon suggested a new feature for her blog in the form of an anonymous critique.

I'll let Shannon explain:

If you’ve ever handed your writing over to someone else, you know all about the horrid feeling that punches your gut and gnaws away at your confidence. You worry about character development, storyline, dialog, plot, premise, pacing, and so on.

Then, after you receive feedback, you wonder how honest your friends/family/beta readers were with their critique. Did they really like it? What would others, who don’t know me, think of my writing?

The Anonymous Critique is my solution to this quandary. I ease the anxiety of having others read your work by providing a cloak of anonymity on this blog.


Anyone can take part. Not ready to share your work? Then hop over and give back to the writing community by adding your feedback. So feel free to pop over and take a look.

It is the season of goodwill after all!

11 comments:

Carol Riggs said...

Hey! Great way to give and get critiques (if you don't mind going public with your writing and comments). I bet a lot of people will take up this offer!

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Wow! Shannon is so generous! I'm on my way to check it out right now.

:) Yes, tis definitely the season. Mmm, I love December.

Shannon said...

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the shout out. You rock! <3

@Carol:
Only comments are truly public. The writer's identity is fiercely protected by me.

It's my goal to create a safe, healthy environment where we can draw on each others' strengths to improve our writing. If if someone doesn't comment or submit their work, there's enough brilliant feedback to glean some new insight about the craft (or that's the goal, anyway).

@Katria:
Thanks for your sweet compliment, but it's not really me. I'm just providing the platform and facilitating. The writers of this awesome community are the ones providing the magic with their honest feedback.

Thanks again for the shout out Lindsay! xoxox

Melissa said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I love the support it's getting too. SO much fun and awesome in this writing community!

Cinette said...

Sounds like a great idea; I'll have to check it out.

Hannah said...

I think I might definitely check it out. I always think people are just being nice. I want bluntness! Lol!

Guinevere said...

Neat idea! I'm going to check it out. :)

jdsanc said...

That is so great! A few years ago I started a blog for people to post their queries and comment on others. I just couldn't keep up with it. But I love your idea! I'm heading to check it out...

WritingNut said...

Wow, what a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm off to check it out :)

Renae said...

I just love this idea. Takes the pressure off when writers can remain anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Sounds neat!