Saturday 29 May 2010

I read. You read. We all read. How do I read?

So I was reading The Story Siren and Renae had this fantastic post on reader habits from a questionnaire on StoryWings.

It sounded so fun I knew I had to play. :)

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:

I don't tend to snack while I read. Okay, sometimes if I'm in on my own (and I have to finish the book) then I eat my dinner reading, but I like to be really careful. I hate messy books.

What is your favourite drink while reading?

Tea. I'm such a typical Brit. :)


Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Are you crazy? If it is a non-fiction/study book or something then yes. Would I write in a novel? No way.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

I'm a bookmark or scrap of paper kind of a girl. I can't do the dog-ear thing. *shudders.*

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?

It depends on my mood. I'm big on fiction at the moment.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I prefer to read until the end of a chapter.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

No. But I have the unfortunate habit of dropping other things on a regular basis. :)

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Not usually. I may note it and look it up later, but I tend to carry on reading.

What are you currently reading?

Blood Promise by Richelle Mead.

What is the last book you bought?

It was 3 for 2 at the bookstore, so I couldn't resist: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce, Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and Waves by Sharon Dogar.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I try and read one at a time, but I can read more than one. If I'm really enjoying a book or series - like the Vampire Academy one I'm reading at the moment - then I read one at a time.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

I read anytime I can. I like to read before I go to sleep. So I guess my favourite place is to read on my bed.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

I'm in series mode at the moment but it wasn't a conscious choice. It just so happens that the books I've bought have been series ones.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

I recommend most books I read but mainly Maggie Stiefvater, Richelle Mead, Suzanne Collins. There are loads more though.

How do you organise your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)

My books are arranged in series order. I'm not into alphabetising or anything like that, but I like to keep them in size order. I can't stand a tall book next to a little one and then another tall one. Okay I'm a freak. :)

Want to play? Feel free to take the questions and post on your blog, leave me a link here, then check out Storywings and post your answers there as well.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

When I have enough books I plan on doing the same, grouping them into series is such a great idea!

What a fun little thing!!

Unknown said...

BTW I've given you and award over at my blog (consider us BFF's) hehe!!!

Jemi Fraser said...

I do the same thing with my books. Even at school with my 1000+ novels, they're organized in small buckets by author, genre, level. And I've got a few kids who help organize them -- and they now know to do it by height as well :)

Renae said...

Lindsay-I love your answers! This has been fun to see what others do while reading because my family like to laugh at me! Of course I just ignore them because I know I'm not the only one!

Have a great weekend!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

What fun! I've got to organize my books better. Reading your post has given me some ideas. Thanks!

Tahereh said...

hahaha this is awesome! loved your answers! but i have a question: if my favorite drink is tea, too, does that make me a Brit?!

*eager*

hehe

have a fabulous weekend lovely!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand a tall book next to a little one and then another tall one.

That's how I am, too! Except I am also tempted to alphabetize them. If only all books were the same size!

Lindsay said...

Jen. I love looking at my shelf and seeing the series books all together. It looks weird if they are spaced out. Plus, it's a good excuse to buy more books.
Heehee, thanks for the award BFF.

Jemi. Yay. Train them early. :)

Renae. I agree. It is fun to see what every one else's habits are. I stand with you on my book reading weirdness. Long may the looks continue. :)

Kathi. Happy to help with your book organisation.

Tahereh. Of course Bestie. You can be an honorary Brit.

Sandy. I'm so gald it isn't just me *phew*.

Talli Roland said...

Love your answers!

I hate it when my husband fold down the corner of my books - drives me mental. And, like you, I would never consider writing in a novel.

Julie Musil said...

That was a fun survey! I can't dog ear a page either...the horror!

Glad you liked your award over at my blog. I wish we could share real margaritas, but we'll compromise!

Lindsay said...

Talli. Glad it's not just me. I can't face doing it. And, like you, if I see anyone folding down a page *shudders.*

Julie. Lol. With you all the way on the page folding.
Hmm, now we just need a compromise. :)

Unknown said...

Yes, it's the tall book next to the smaller one that bothers me too! :0)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella), I'm a new follower and I'm already enjoying your posts. Awesome blog, btw!

I can't stand people dog-earring pages either, even if it is for school. I treat books like sacred objects (some of my friends get annoyed by that, but they deal with it). I loved reading your answers and the other people's comments, because it's good to know you're not alone when it comes to stacking books (I can't stand putting a small book in between two tall books either).

Anyway, write on! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Wings said...

im a bit bedantic about the sizes of books too, i hate it when you have a whole series of books like sookie stackhouse or mortal instruments and they release a book thats a different size to the previous one...its annoying and makes the shelf look funny lol

lisa and laura said...

Ooh...we are SO similar, we could be sisters! But I don't really organize my books--they're kind of all over the place. That would probably drive you crazy!

Danielle said...

I'm gonna go do this on my blog, fun! :)

Lindsay said...

Carole. Yay, join the size order book club.:)

Vatche. Welcome to my little blog world. Nice to have you with us.
I'm also glad I'm not alone in the stacking of books in size order. :)

Wings. I hate that too. I have 8 Sookie Stackhouse novels in paperback of the same size, then one hardback. Arghhhh.

Lisa and Laura. Lol. I'm a bit of a series together freak I'll admit. Although, I do have books spilling onto piles on the floor. That annoys my Mum. :)

DaniSue. Yay. Glad you gonna join the fun.:)

Culture Served Raw said...

Great Answers! I think msot of us writers can agree with much of what you said

Eeleen Lee said...

Enjoyed reading your answers, yet I can't snack while I'm reading because I don't want to dirty the book, but I agree with the tea- MUST HAVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Loved reading your answers! I used to never write in books until I started trying to write a novel. Now I go back and reread the ones I really like and make notes in the margin about what's going on with the writing. The only problem with this is later when my non-writer friends want to borrow the book, I have to go back and erase them so they won't think I'm weird! :)

Aspen Arnthors said...

Wow, you answered this almost exactly like I answered it, and I had to copy ;) Are you a Virgo? :P I tagged you and Story Wings.

aspenarnthors.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like how everyone answers differently.

Even when I was younger, I had a hard time dog-earring a book. I only did it once in a while. I prefer bookmarks, even if its a scrap of paper.

Nishant said...

I love your answers!
PPC Advertising India