Thursday 5 August 2010

The Power Of...You!

Yesterday Valerie Kemp over at Sisters in Scribe did an awesome post about inspiration and preparation. The thing that kept me thinking about this post was the inspiration.

"If someone wants A to happen, yet they prepare for B, they will always get B."

As writers we want agents (dream agent, agent x...hell, any agent we spend the lonesome hours researching) to love our work. We crave the ping of the email asking for a partial, full, even the one requesting a scheduled time to talk. And we know what that means. :)

But as human beings it's easy to get doused in the negative. The little voice says "but it might be bad news." We don't want to allow ourselves to get excited for fear that the walls will come crashing down. We panic rejection will follow, and the hope we allowed ourselves to feel is crushed beneath the weight of a form rejection.

Today I say adios to the fear, hello to preparing for A to happen. Allow the swell of hope in your chest. Embrace the dizzy feeling of happiness as you check the inbox for the hundredth time in twenty minutes. Good things happen. They will happen for us.

Why? Because each one of us is awesome. And don't shake your heads, I read your blogs, we tweet, we email...you rock!

We just need to believe it ourselves sometimes.

*And sorry about the cheesy post title. I've not had my cup of tea yet :(

14 comments:

Al said...

I'm just grumpy before I have my cup of tea whereas you're inspirational :-)

Hannah said...

I'm with Al. I'm not usually cheesey before my tea. Thanks for the boost. I needed that!!

Hannah said...

ninja mind trick

Unknown said...

I love your post title! This is so true even though it's sometimes hard to stay in a positive mindset. Also, thanks for stopping by our blog--Valerie is awesome!

Christina Lee said...

How did you know I needed this psot today ;--) THANKS!!

Matthew MacNish said...

I agree! There is really something to be said for positive thinking bringing positive results.

Renae said...

Great post Lindsay. I don't think your title is at all cheesy. I can't even think in the morning before I have coffee.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm not good at this - but I'll keep working on it! :)

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm a huge believer in positive thinking. Good for you in leaving the fear and negativity behind!

Talli Roland said...

Good point! Believing in yourself can be so hard to so. Thanks for the reminder.

Tahereh said...

yes yes yes! i totally agree!

Anonymous said...

You're right, Lindsay!

We have to go for A and stick to A. We have to follow our dreams no matter what stands in our way. If rejection hits our faces, we have to push it away, and continue on the road toward our dreams.

Eventually, good things will happen if we have the determination and the motivation to continue on, even after so many obstacles.

Write on!

Lua said...

This was... so inspiring!
And I really needed this today, so thank you so much Lindsay!
Yes- whatever we’re preparing for, we’ll receive that. I’m saying adios to being negative and fearful and I’m saying hi to all the fabulous agents hehe! :)

Valerie Kemp said...

Yay! I'm so happy my little post inspired you. It's so important to stay positive and keep hope alive, lol. Prepare for what you want, not what you don't! Great post!